Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Before yesterdayMain stream

Protesters target GOP members of Congress over possible Medicaid cuts

21 March 2025 at 19:08

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates lawmakers cannot reach spending targets set in the recent budget proposal narrowly-passed by the U.S. House without cuts to the federal portion of Medicaid.

GOP members of Congress are searching for cost savings in order to pay for President Donald Trump’s tax cuts and border security agenda.

Concerns over potential cuts to the joint federal-state entitlement program, which provides medical coverage for roughly one out of every five Americans, sparked nationwide protests this week.

About 100 unionized health care workers and others who say they depend on Medicaid payments demonstrated outside the Warren office of Michigan Republican Congressman John James on Wednesday.

He wrote on X earlier this month that the GOP will always protect Medicaid.

James blamed Democrats for having spent years “burdening a system that will allow for its collapse,” while vowing to ensure Medicaid coverage for those who “rightfully paid into their benefits and our most vulnerable.”

But James’ Democratic colleague, Michigan Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, argues the GOP is still targeting Medicaid funding.

Tlaib said the threat is so strong it compelled her to take the rare step of joining the demonstration outside James’ office, in a Congressional district miles away from her own.

Listen: Michigan Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib says Medicaid cuts would ‘devastate’ families

The following interview has been edited for clarity and length.

U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib: I’m here because Medicaid cuts would devastate so many of my families in my district. If John James could just join us and choose to help the families in the community he represents, the Macomb and Oakland County residents that rely on Medicaid. Especially parents with special needs kids and the huge number of mothers who depend on prenatal care through Medicaid. I’m here to urge him to choose the people that elected him, not Trump or Elon Musk. All of us will have his back if he chooses to do the right thing. We just need three to four Republicans to join us and we’re hoping that Congressman John James changes his mind and doesn’t cut Medicaid.

Quinn Klinefelter, WDET News: What do you mean specifically by needing three or four Republicans to join you?

RT: It’s the difference between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. House and Congress. The Republican majority is very small and we know that many of our Republican colleagues have constituents who depend on Medicaid, including one in California where over 60% of his residents rely on it. So this is not about Republicans or Democrats, it’s really an issue of access to health care coverage for those that are ill or those that have special medical conditions. John James’ district is one that would be hit very hard if Medicaid cuts were to go into effect. Yet he voted to approve the House Energy and Commerce Committee cutting $880 billion in costs over the next decade. That committee oversees health care, Medicare, Medicaid, the Affordable Care Act. He did it with no hesitation. We’re here to remind him this would actually devastate his community, not just communities like mine.

QK: There had been talk for a long time that politicians should stay away from entitlements, period. That wasn’t something you touched. But now, when Republicans say they’re trying to find cost savings and that there’s not many other places to look except entitlements, what is your reaction?

RT: Have they looked at the Pentagon budget, the Pentagon budget that hasn’t passed seven audits in a row? You’re talking about almost 15% of the federal budget coming from the Pentagon budget. The defense contractors, the military defense complex, has been draining our public tax dollars. If they can’t pass an audit, why didn’t you start there if you’re talking about efficiency? Why would you go to Medicaid and the Department of Education and so many of these vital, important services for our families? Without the food assistance, without Medicaid, without special education programs through our public education system, their lives would be devastated. You have folks that are gaslighting the public and saying that this is supposed to be some sort of cost-saving. It’s not. It’s them wanting to deteriorate any sort of public programs that help our families so they can privatize. And if you listen to the public, they would have told you, “Don’t touch Medicaid.” You promised not to touch it and you did. You voted for an almost $1 trillion cut to health coverage.

QK: You mentioned during your speech here that your phones have been blowing up with calls from people. After the recent stopgap funding measure was passed by Congress, there were some people who said they didn’t think Democrats were “standing up” enough against President Trump and the Republican majority. That Democrats should take other actions beyond what they’re doing right now. Again, what’s your reaction those kind of comments?

RT: I mean, I’m here. I’m doing everything I can, even if it means me having to join John James’ residents here or pushing back against billions of dollars in cuts for veterans’ health care in that so-called temporary budget, the Continuing Resolution. There’s health care coverage, there’s veterans care, there’s vital services that are literally on the chopping board within weeks of Trump becoming president. And this is not a choice that we should be giving Americans. We should be listening to them and understanding that if we really want to care for them, let’s figure out other ways. Let’s fix our health care system, if that’s really your true intention to find efficiency and waste. When we can organize our residents, transformative change comes from them. They can move the institution. We can put our organizing hats on, join our residents and try to give them a bullhorn. And that’s what we can do with the power of our letterhead, the power of our vote and the power to organize.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Protesters target GOP members of Congress over possible Medicaid cuts appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

Detroit Evening Report: Troy hospital shooting; rally against Medicaid cuts + more

21 March 2025 at 00:55

Editor’s note: The above audio incorrectly states that the Detroit Department of Transportation is seeking $2 million budget increase to hire more bus drivers and replace old buses. The correct figure is $20 million.

 

Tonight on The Detroit Evening Report, we share the latest on the shooting at Corewell Health Beaumont Troy Hospital; a rally against cuts to Medicaid outside Michigan Congressmen John James’ office and more.

Subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report on Apple PodcastsSpotifyNPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Suspect arrested in Troy hospital shooting

Police have arrested a man suspected of shooting a co-worker inside a parking garage at Corewell Health Beaumont Troy Hospital Thursday morning. Troy police say the shooting took place just after 7 a.m. The 25-year-old victim is in stable condition after being shot in the arm. The hospital, nearby schools and some roadways were locked down during the search.

Rally for Medicaid

Roughly 100 unionized health care workers and others depending on Medicaid payments gathered outside the office of Michigan Congressman John James on Wednesday, asking him to vote against cuts.

Protesters say cuts to the federal portion of Medicaid could cost health care workers their jobs, and force nursing homes to close. Democratic Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib joined the rally — miles away from her own constituents — to argue that the votes of three or four of her Republican colleagues could save the insurance program.

“Because Medicaid cuts would devastate so many of my families in my district. And I know if John James could just join us to choose the people that elected him, not Trump or Elon Musk, and all of us will have his back if he chooses to do the right thing,” Tlaib said.

Congressional Republicans are considering changes in Medicaid to help cover the cost of President Trump’s planned tax cuts. 

Auto industry braces for layoffs

Car dealers and UAW local leaders are bracing for possible layoffs as a result of the Trump Administration’s tariff war.

Inventory on car lots are high and consumer confidence is weakened as buyers contend with potential price increases. Many UAW leaders told the Detroit Free Press they are concerned the tariff war will disrupt production at plants. Last week, President Trump announced a 25% tariff on steel and aluminum imports from all countries, which will impact carmakers. 

RenCen’s Tower 600 sold

The Renaissance Center’s Tower 600 was sold in a small auction Wednesday for $9.2 million. The winner is currently unknown.

The bidding started Monday at $2.75 million. The auction comes at a time when the future of the rest of the Renaissance Center is in limbo. Tower 600 has 334,000 square feet and is only 11% occupied. 

DDOT seeks budget increase

The Detroit Department of Transportation is asking for a $20 million budget increase to hire more bus drivers and replace old buses. DDOT officials told city council they expect to hire 63 more drivers and replace 45 buses. The department is also looking to add or upgrade at least 60 shelters with solar lighting, USB charging ports, and improved access and benches. DDOT runs 169 buses in the morning and 179 in the afternoon. The department’s current budget is near $170 million.

Volunteers sought for Southwest Detroit care packages

The Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS) is holding an event on Saturday to collect and assemble care packages for the residents that were affected by the recent flood in Southwest Detroit. ACCESS will be accepting donations of items such as personal, feminine, and dental hygiene products; pillow and blankets, and non-perishable food items. The nonprofit is still looking for volunteers. The event will be held between noon and 2 p.m. at the ACCESS Headquarters Gym in Dearborn. 

Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at detroiteveningreport@wdet.org.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: Troy hospital shooting; rally against Medicaid cuts + more appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

Detroit Evening Report: State seeks former Medicaid members for new committee; Detroit’s St. Patrick’s Parade + more

14 March 2025 at 23:02

Tonight on The Detroit Evening Report, we cover the state’s efforts to form a new advisory committee of former Medicaid recipients to share their experiences; Detroit’s 67th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade and more.

Subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report on Apple PodcastsSpotifyNPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Former Medicaid members sought for new committee

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is recruiting former Medicaid recipients from across the state to join its new 15-member Beneficiary Advisory Council. The group will be tasked with identifying barriers to accessing Medicaid services, addressing the social elements that affect health for recipients and making policy recommendations to MDHHS leadership.

Those selected to serve on the committee may receive compensation for their time and reimbursement for childcare and respite services. Applications are due by 5 p.m. on April 14. Questions about the application can be emailed to MDHHS-BAC@michigan.gov.

Related: Michigan Health and Hospital Association CEO says protecting Medicaid protects Michigan

MESP College Savings Program celebrates 25 years

The Michigan Education Savings Plan’s 25th anniversary is this year and it’s offering new benefits to celebrate. The ‘5-29’ savings plan lets people put money aside for college, vocational training and some other educational expenses. Starting next month, those funds can also be used to cover apprenticeship costs and to repay up to $10,000 of student loans. The new benefits align Michigan 529 programs with many national savings programs and are made possible by state legislation passed last year.

Michigan Ukrainian refugees in limbo

Thousands of Ukrainian refugees who migrated to Michigan to escape the war are bracing for possible deportation, after recent reports that the Trump administration will revoke their legal status.

President Donald Trump announced last week that he will soon decide the fate of the roughly 240,000 Ukrainians who fled the conflict, following a Reuters report announcing his administration’s plan.

Detroit’s annual St. Patrick’s Parade returns

Corktown will host the 67th annual Detroit St. Patrick’s Parade this Sunday, March 16, beginning at 1 p.m. at 6th Street and Michigan Avenue. The parade, which features floats, marching bands, pipe and drum bands, and so much more, has brought together people to celebrate Detroit’s rich Irish heritage for over half a century!

Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at detroiteveningreport@wdet.org.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: State seeks former Medicaid members for new committee; Detroit’s St. Patrick’s Parade + more appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

MichMash: Michigan Health and Hospital Association CEO says protecting Medicaid protects Michigan

14 March 2025 at 22:19

Medicaid funding has been in the headlines recently as the Trump administration has said they aim to cut “waste, fraud and abuse” from the program. This week on MichMash, host Cheyna Roth and Gongwer News Service’s Zach Gorchow spoke with Michigan Health and Hospital Association CEO Brian Peters about how vital Medicaid is in the state.

Also, another Democratic candidate has entered Michigan’s 2026 gubernatorial race. Michigan Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist has thrown his hat in the ring as a contender for the seat. Roth and Gorchow discuss how Gilchrist fares against his competition. 

Subscribe to MichMash on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

In this episode:

  • How Congress’ decision on Medicaid could affect Michigan
  • Michigan’s two Medicaid programs
  • Michigan Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist entering 2026 race for governor

Earlier this month, U.S. House Republicans adopted a budget plan instructing the House Energy and Commerce Committee — which oversees Medicare and Medicaid funding — to cut spending under its jurisdiction by $880 billion.

Roth pointed out the confusion around what exactly could be cut, as the latest budget resolution calls for cuts so significant there is no way Medicaid could not be severely impacted.

Peters says Medicaid has become a critical component of the health care ecosystem, both in Michigan — where roughly a quarter of residents are covered by Medicaid — and nationally.

When Michigan expanded Medicaid to residents with an annual income at or below 138% of the federal poverty level — known as the Healthy Michigan Plan — many Michiganders got access to health care they may have not been able to afford otherwise.

“[Medicaid] allows people to access care in such a way that they can potentially nip health care problems in the bud, in other words, seek primary care, preventive care, prenatal care….so that we don’t have health care issues that continue to worsen,” Peters said.

Peters noted that while both the House and Senate are considering how to approach the suggested cuts, he doesn’t see Congress coming to an agreement yet based on what has been put forth in either chamber.

“We are in the second inning of a nine inning baseball game here; this process is very early, but at the end of the day, we are ensuring that [our] voice is heard,” said Peters. “That voice is saying very loudly: We cannot slash and burn the Medicaid program.”

–WDET Digital Editor Jenny Sherman contributed to this report.

More from WDET:

Support the podcasts you love.

One-of-a-kind podcasts from WDET bring you engaging conversations, news you need to know and stories you love to hear.

Keep the conversations coming. Please make a gift today.

Give now »

The post MichMash: Michigan Health and Hospital Association CEO says protecting Medicaid protects Michigan appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

❌
❌