Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Before yesterdayMain stream

Detroit Evening Report: Michigan’s U.S. Senators stand firm on government shutdown, Supreme Court blocks SNAP payments

10 November 2025 at 20:02

Both of Michigan’s U.S. Senators voted against a procedural move to end the federal government shutdown.

Seven Democrats and one independent joined Republicans last night, taking the first step toward funding the government. GOP Senators agreed to hold a vote next month on extending the Affordable Care Act tax credits. The deal does not guarantee they’ll be renewed. Democratic senators Elissa Slotkin and Gary Peters say promising to hold a vote on the issue isn’t good enough.

The compromise would reverse the mass firings that took place when the shutdown began and ensure federal workers get back pay.  

-Reporting by Pat Batcheller  

Additional headlines from Monday, November 10, 2025

Supreme Court order blocks SNAP payments

On Saturday the U.S. Supreme Court issued an emergency stay blocking the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition from issuing full payments for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP. This pauses benefits for 42 million Americans, including many children and the elderly.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services director, Elizabeth Hertel, says she is disappointed by the move. MDHHS began sending out full payments on Thursday, however the new order prevents the department from finalizing payments for Michigan residents who have not yet received their payments for November.

To fill the gap, Governor Whitmer announced an additional $4.5 million to the Food Bank Council of Michigan to feed families including food delivery services for families who are unable to visit a food bank. Dial 2-1-1 or visit mi211.org to find assistance. 

Last week, the city of Detroit launched a network of food pantries map with 85 certified food pantries. Mayor Mike Duggan says the city authorized $1.75 million for the project. People can visit detroitmi.gov to find a location near them.  

Catholic Charities provide hunger relief

Catholic Charities of Southeast Michigan is providing emergency relief while SNAP benefits are in limbo for 1.4 million families in Michigan.   

People can drop into the Center for the Works of Mercy on 10301 Woodward Ave in Detroit on Thursdays between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays beginning Nov. 22nd through Dec. 6th between 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.  

According to DetroitCatholic.com, the city of Detroit donated food from Forgotten Harvest to support the center.

The Catholic Charities of Southeast Michigan are also asking people to donate unexpired AND nonperishable food on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. or provide monetary donations. The group is matching donations up to $20,000 thanks to an anonymous donor. The center is also looking for volunteers.  

MSU study brings solar panels and farming together 

Michigan State University researchers are building an outdoor laboratory to see if solar panels can improve crop production for farmers.

Anthony Kendall is an Assistant Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at MSU. He says the project involves researchers from different fields who can offer a variety of perspectives. 

“There’s a real asymmetry of solar installation information that exists right now. And we hope by doing open science with a lot of community feedback, to really just provide better information to everyone.”

He says they’ll also use the project to teach farmers how to use solar panels in under-producing areas of farm fields. The project is funded by a $3.6 million grant from the National Science Foundation.  

MDOT regulations

The Michigan Department of Transportation is still collecting public comment on a set of proposed regulations that could put parameters on how people can protest on MDOT owned roads.

The new rules would require protestors to get a permit before occupying an area such as an overpass or rest stop. MDOT’s Engineer Greg Losch said on the podcast “Talking Michigan Transportation” that the rules are a response to complaints from the public.  

“We’ll be responding to the public complaint, like, ‘hey, I stopped at whatever rest area and someone asked me to sign a petition and I don’t really want to be solicited for that. Why why are you allowing this, MDOT?’” 

Losch said the regulations intend to ensure public safety. Activists argue that this is an infringement of First Amendment rights. MDOT will be accepting public comments on its website through November 20th.  

If there is something happening in your neighborhood that you think we should know about, drop us a line at DetroitEveningReport@wdet.org. And don’t forget to subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report podcast, available wherever you get your podcasts. 

Listen to the latest episode of the “Detroit Evening Report” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: Michigan’s U.S. Senators stand firm on government shutdown, Supreme Court blocks SNAP payments appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

Detroit Evening Report: Detroit Youth Assembly invites young people to take action

24 October 2025 at 19:21

Detroit Youth Assembly encourages civic engagement among Detroit’s youth

The Detroit Youth Assembly is next month. The City is inviting young people from across Detroit to connect with city leadership, share their voices, and take action on the issues that are important to them.

The Detroit Youth Assembly will be on Thursday, November 6, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Northwest Activity Center Theater.

Get your tickets online.

Additional headlines for October 24, 2025

Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park opens on Detroit’s west riverfront

Detroit’s newest park opens this weekend. The Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park sits along the west riverfront between downtown and the Ambassador Bridge. The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy broke ground on the 22-acre project three years ago.
The park features playgrounds, a water garden, and two indoor basketball courts.
Tomorrow’s grand opening is part of this year’s Detroit Harvest Fest.

Inmates appeal dismissal of lawsuit over recorded strip searches

Lawyers for hundreds of inmates at the Huron Valley Correctional Facility say they’ll appeal a judge’s dismissal of their lawsuit.
The women sued the prison after corrections officers recorded strip searches with body cameras.
The judge ruled Michigan law only allows inmate lawsuits that allege physical harm.

But attorney Todd Flood says the recordings did cause harm, including flashbacks, insomnia, and panic attacks.

“It’s unconscionable to me. At least 80% of the women who are incarcerated have been subject to domestic violence, sexual assault, or some sort of battery,” Flood said.

The Michigan Department of Corrections stopped most strip-search recordings in March. The department agreed with the judge who threw out the lawsuit.

Sports roundup

Rivalry returns: Michigan vs. Michigan State

Tomorrow is the big game that divides our great state — the Michigan Wolverines face off against the Michigan State Spartans.
The Wolverines’ record is 5–2 and the Spartans’ record is 3–4.

The head-to-head matchup takes place at Spartan Stadium and will be covered by NBC. Kickoff is at 7:00 p.m.

Pistons look to bounce back

The NBA is back and the Detroit Pistons play tonight against the Houston Rockets at the Toyota Center.

They lost their opening game to the Chicago Bulls but hope to bounce back this weekend. Tipoff for tonight’s game is at 8 p.m. EST.

Then, Cade Cunningham and the crew return home to play the Boston Celtics on Sunday at Little Caesars Arena.

Love Peace and Light Foundation hosts Youth Empowerment Day

Detroit’s Love Peace and Light Foundation is hosting Youth Empowerment Day on November 8.

The group is collecting hygiene products, canned goods, and winter clothing for youth and families. They’re also collecting monetary donations to reach a goal of $5,000.

Get your tickets online

The event will be held November 8 from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Coleman A. Young Recreation Center.

Listen to the latest episode of the “Detroit Evening Report” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Support the podcasts you love.

One-of-a-kind podcasts from WDET bring you engaging conversations, news you need to know and stories you love to hear. Keep the conversations coming. Please make a gift today.

The post Detroit Evening Report: Detroit Youth Assembly invites young people to take action appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

❌
❌