Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Before yesterdayMain stream

Detroit Evening Report: Southwest Detroit flood repair efforts to end soon

27 March 2025 at 22:02

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan announced Thursday that over 90 percent of the families displaced by the water main break and subsequent flooding in Southwest Detroit have returned to their homes.

Subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

The city has replaced 125 furnaces and 126 hot water heaters in affected homes, with just a few left that need replacing.

Resident Deanna Dooley has lived on Rowan Street for 20 years. She says she was impressed with the response from the city.

“When we woke up in the middle of the night, none of us knew what we were going to do,” she said. “But within 24 hours, at least we all felt safe again. We weren’t whole, but we were safe.”

Dooley says her furnace, hot water heater and all the electrical wiring in her basement were replaced and her family is back in their home.

Homeowners who still need to make a claim have until Thursday, April 3 to file. Duggan says the emergency hotline for repairs will be discontinued on Sunday. Anyone who still needs help can call 877-311-3664. The Notice of Claim form can be found in English and Spanish at detroitmi.gov

Other headlines for Thursday, March 27, 2025:

  • President Donald Trump announced yesterday  25 percent tariffs on cars and light duty trucks imported into the US. That will have an impact on Detroit’s Big Three automakers. Ford Motor Company has three plants in Mexico, and reportedly sent roughly 176,000 cars from there to the US just in the first half of 2024. General Motors imported about 750,000 vehicles into the US from Canada or Mexico last year. Stellantis also has assembly plants in Mexico and Canada. Congresswoman Debbie Dingle supports the tariffs, but says car companies and suppliers need time to adjust to them. She says while the tariffs could bring companies back to the US, it won’t happen overnight.
  • Detroit City Councilmember Fred Durhal is hosting a career support and opportunities event for returning citizens. The Dress for Success resource fair will provide professional support and other help to returning citizens in Detroit. Residents can pick up donated business casual attire, receive help writing resumes and get interview etiquette training. The event will be Friday, March 28 from 2–4 p.m. at Covenant Community Care on 17625 Joy Road. To register and learn more, visit @freddurhal3 on Instagram.
  • Signup for the Plan Detroit Policy Workshops is now open. The workshops allow Detroit residents to sound off on decisions that will affect Detroit neighborhoods, environment, culture, transportation and economy. Participants will sit in on guided discussions, collaborate with residents and work directly with city planners to develop policy recommendations. Workshops begin on Saturday, April 12 at the Joseph Walker Williams Community Center. To register, visit plandetroit.com.

Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at detroiteveningreport@wdet.org.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: Southwest Detroit flood repair efforts to end soon appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

Detroit Evening Report: Water main break repair in Southwest Detroit could take weeks

20 February 2025 at 21:51

Detroit Water and Sewerage will begin repairing damage caused by the massive water main break in Southwest Detroit next week.

Subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

The department will clean out and sanitize basements, as well as perform hot water heater, furnace and electrical repairs.

DWSD Director Gary Brown says residents whose water has been restored will still be under a water boil advisory.

“When we put a service line back in service, we must test the water for bacteria twice, 24 hours apart,” he said. “So it will take 48 hours for the testing to take place.”

Southwest Detroit residents who were affected by the water main break on Monday can now file a claim for losses on the city’s website. DWSD will work to cover deductibles and any losses outside of what insurance will cover, Brown said.

The city hopes to get all homes repaired and families moved back in within six weeks, he said.

Residents who need assistance to make a claim can call the city at 313-774-5261.

Other headlines for Thursday, Feb. 20, 2025:

  • Reverend Solomon Kinloch Jr of Detroit-based Triumph Church launched his campaign for Detroit’s mayor Wednesday night.
  • The Islamic Center of Detroit is hosting a deep dive into Malcolm X’s Wayne State speech and how his commitment to Islam shaped his activism at an event titled “100 years of Malcolm X: A Legacy Unfinished,” taking place at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 21, at the Islamic Center of Detroit.
  • Detroit Parks and Recreation will continue its Winter Fest festivities this weekend with events planned at Rouge Park from noon to 4 p.m. and at the Butzel Family Center from 1-5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22.
  • Detroit is looking for talent to perform at Detroit Parks and Recreation events. The city is looking for DJs, poets, singers and rappers, bands, dancers, and artists. Auditions for performers will take place from 1-5 p.m. on March 8 at the Northwest Activities Center.

Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at detroiteveningreport@wdet.org.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: Water main break repair in Southwest Detroit could take weeks appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

❌
❌