Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Before yesterdayMain stream

The Metro: ‘All students’ in Detroit public schools could feel impacts from Department of Education cuts

24 March 2025 at 17:12

Subscribe to The Metro on Apple PodcastsSpotifyNPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Education in the U.S. is facing upheaval. The Department of Education is dissolving as President Donald Trump makes good on his campaign promise to dismantle it. 

Last week, Trump signed an executive order directing the education secretary to “take all necessary steps to facilitate the closure of the Department of Education and return authority over education to the States and local communities.”

States and local communities already largely control education in the U.S. But some conservative activists have long opposed the department and its role as a civil rights watchdog. Since Trump took office in January, the department has paused thousands of its civil rights investigations.

Trump has blamed the department for lagging student achievement. He argues it is part of a “bloated federal system” that must be eliminated. 

One of the department’s key roles is distributing funding to many low-income districts, including Detroit schools. The Department of Education provides around 30% of the funding for the Detroit Public Schools Community District,  Superintendent Nikolai Vitti said.

Trump claims low-income districts will still have access to this crucial funding. But school officials like Vitti remain concerned. 

He sat down with The Metro co-host Robyn Vincent to discuss how the dismantling of the Department of Education would affect “all Detroit kids.”

He began by discussing one of the most pressing issues facing Detroit schools: a lack of funding — and why federal money is vital for Detroit students.

Use the media player above to hear the full conversation.

Listen to The Metro weekdays from 10 a.m. to noon ET on 101.9 FM and streaming on-demand.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today. Donate today »

The post The Metro: ‘All students’ in Detroit public schools could feel impacts from Department of Education cuts appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

Detroit Evening Report: Trump order aims to dismantle US Department of Education; March Madness + more

21 March 2025 at 22:11

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday calling for the dismantling of the Department of Education.

Subscribe to the Detroit Evening Report on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, NPR.org or wherever you get your podcasts.

Eliminating the department altogether would be a hard task, and will likely require an act of Congress. Trump has already cut the department’s staff in half since returning to office. Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency has already cut dozens of contracts and has gutted the Institute of Education Sciences, which gathers data on the nation’s academic progress.

We reported on Feb. 21’s Detroit Evening Report that Michigan could face major challenges if the federal department is cut. Detroit Public Schools Community District Superintendent Nikolai Vitti said during a virtual budget meeting with more than 1,000 attendees that the elimination of the department could lead to many things, such as less monitoring around discrimination claims.

The superintendent noted that the effects could be catastrophic to the largest district in the state.

President Trump has said that low test scores nationwide is part of the reason for making this order, but hasn’t explained how moving federal responsibilities to the state will help increase scores.

Other headlines for Friday, March 21, 2025:

  • The city of Dearborn will hold a small business pitch competition in May. The city’s Economic Development Department is encouraging start-ups and established businesses to join. Eligible innovators are U.S. citizens, at least 18 years old, with a brick-and-mortar business located in Dearborn. Food and beverage-based businesses are not eligible to participate. The first place winner will earn $25,000. Second place is $10,000 and third is $5,000. The competition will be held at the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center on May 13.
  • Applications for vendor spots at the Dearborn Summer Market are now open. The market will be located at Peace Park West and will run through July and August on the second Friday of each month. Those interested in reserving a vendor spot are required to apply online by March 31.
  • March Madness is upon us and the No. 2 seed Michigan State Spartans makes its 27th straight NCAA Tournament appearance on Friday when it takes on the No. 15 seed Bryant Bulldogs in a first-round matchup in the South region. Michigan State’s streak of 27-straight NCAA Tournaments is not only a Big Ten record, it’s also the third-longest in NCAA history and is officially recognized by the NCAA as the longest active streak. This is the 38th NCAA Tournament appearance all-time for MSU. The game airs at 10 p.m. Friday on TBS.
  • The 14th-ranked and No. 5-seeded University of Michigan men’s basketball team squeaked out a three-point victory, defeating No. 12-seeded UC San Diego, 68-65, on Thursday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Ball Arena. A pair of late Vladislav Goldin free throws helped the Wolverines advance to the second round. Their next game is at 5:15 p.m. on March 22, on CBS.

Do you have a community story we should tell? Let us know in an email at detroiteveningreport@wdet.org.

Trusted, accurate, up-to-date.

WDET strives to make our journalism accessible to everyone. As a public media institution, we maintain our journalistic integrity through independent support from readers like you. If you value WDET as your source of news, music and conversation, please make a gift today.

Donate today »

The post Detroit Evening Report: Trump order aims to dismantle US Department of Education; March Madness + more appeared first on WDET 101.9 FM.

❌
❌