❌

Reading view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.

'It’s ridiculous': Mother demands justice 2 years after son's murder at Southfield hotel

Two years after 15-year-old Tyler Johnson was shot and killed at the Westin Hotel in Southfield, his mother is renewing her calls for justice as no one has been charged with his murder.

Watch Ruta Ulcinaite's video report: Mother demands justice 2 years after son's murder at Southfield hotel

Tomika Alexander lost her only son on February 11, 2024, and her grief has since turned to anger after no arrests have been made despite a weapon being recovered from the scene, and those at the scene of the crime, identified.

"It's unacceptable. Quite honestly, it's bull***," Alexander said during a visit to Crime Stopper's offices in Southfield on Monday.

Police say four other teenagers were in that same hotel room that night, but none of them are cooperating with the investigation. All have obtained legal representation and are exercising their right to remain silent, stalling the case.

PREVIOUS STORY: Mother of murdered teen fears investigation is being intentionally derailed as friends refuse to talk Mother demands justice in son's murder

"It's ridiculous, and y'all should be just as frightened and scared as me that y'all children are not protected and murders can go unjustly because of this loophole in the system," Alexander said.

With the evidence already obtained by police, Alexander believes it should be enough for the case to move forward. However, attorney and legal expert Abed Hammoud says the situation is much more complex.

"You don't know who did what in that room. It's difficult, the physical evidence can [only] take you so far," Hammoud said. "If people don't talk, and if there's no other indication why would somebody shoot somebody, you cannot tell who the shooter is."

Hammoud explained that all the evidence right now is circumstantial, making it difficult to determine who pulled the trigger.

Southfield Deputy Chief of Police Aaron Huguley released the following statement to 7 News Detroit regarding Alexander's calls for movement in the case:

We truly understand that the loss of Tyler was tragic and this second anniversary of his death is a reminder of the life that should have been. Chief Barren has recently held interviews and provided details on the status of the case. The Southfield Police Department and the Oakland County Prosecutors Office continue to stand ready to bring closure for Tyler and his family. This case was thoroughly investigated by detectives, but in order to move forward, testimony from the four eyewitnesses is required. It was the intention of the Southfield Police Department to re-interview the young men once they turned eighteen. However, this cannot take place as their parents invoked their right to counsel during the initial stages of the investigation. This right counsel transfers to adulthood. Therefore, the only circumstance where the police department can re-interview the young men is if they initiate the contact at the age of eighteen or through their attorneys.

The Oakland County Prosecutor's Office Public Information Officer echoed that sentiment, saying in a statement:

Tyler Johnson's death is a tragedy, and he has not been forgotten. We know there were four young men in the room when Tyler Johnson was killed. We need those individuals to tell the truth about what happened to their friend.  The Oakland County Prosecutor's Office remains in close communication with the Southfield Police as they continue their investigation.

For Alexander, none of this helps ease her pain as she continues seeking justice for her son.

"I'm going to continue to fight as long as I can for my son because he did not deserve this," Alexander said. A thorough investigation consists of a murder conviction and justice for Tyler; thats when you can pat yourself on the back.

Despite the current stalemate, Hammoud remains hopeful that someone may eventually speak up.

"I teach this to my students, even in homicides, people end up talking. Somebody feels the weight of it and talks," Hammoud said.

Crime Stoppers of Michigan is now offering a cash reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest. Tips will remain anonymous. If you have any information, call 1-800-SPEAKUP.

This story was reported on-air by a journalist and has been converted to this platform with the assistance of AI. Our editorial team verifies all reporting on all platforms for fairness and accuracy.

VIDEO: Car crashes into Eastpointe home after driver fails to yield, flees scene

A 27-year-old Eastpointe homeowner returned from work Wednesday to find a car had crashed straight through his living room wall after a violent collision at a nearby intersection.

Watch Ruta Ulcinaite's video report: Car crashes into Eastpointe home after driver fails to yield, flees scene

Noah Bowles discovered his home on the corner of Rein Avenue and Norton Avenue, filled with glass and brick debris where his living room used to be. Surveillance video captured the crash around 3:40 p.m., showing a Dodge Journey failing to yield at the intersection and striking another vehicle, sending that car directly into Bowles' home. He's new to the area and has only lived in the home for less than two months.

WEB EXTRA: Surveillance video shows accident that sent vehicle into home WEB EXTRA: Surveillance video shows accident that sent vehicle into home

"All the sudden I see my house, and I'm like, something looks weird. And then I got closer, and I'm like, oh shoot, something actually happened," Bowles said about returning to his home after work.

The impact destroyed precious family heirlooms, including a bench passed down from his grandmother. A door that Bowles drove to pick up himself from the east coast, a 24-hour journey in all, ruined. Fortunately, his cat was hiding in a back room and remained unharmed.

The driver who was struck received treatment for minor injuries at a local hospital. However, police say the at-fault driver fled the scene after being picked up by a maroon vehicle without a license plate before officers could arrive.

If you have any information about the crash, call Eastpointe Police.

Neighbors say they're not surprised by the crash, describing ongoing problems with speeding and drivers ignoring yield signs in the area.

"They have no rhyme or reason for the law and it scares the hell, heck out of all of us on this street," said Michael Masserang, who lives in the area. Couple of times Ive been doing something or working in the street and people come by, and Ive almost gotten ran over myself.

Abigail Ressler, another area resident, said reckless driving is a constant problem.

"People fly down, and in the middle of the night they're revving their engines and blowing through the street," Ressler said.

Eastpointe Police Department says the area is patrolled, but they are examining the intersection to determine what safety improvements can be made.

"That particular area, our traffic safety officer will take a look as far as how many accidents we've had within the past few years, also if residents want some signs changed from the yield signs to stop signs or vice versa, they can always contact our traffic safety officer, who will conduct a study," said Lt. Alex Holish.

Residents can request traffic changes at an intersection by reaching out to Eastpointe Police Detective Randan Burkall at rburkall@eastpointecity.org.

The investigation into the at-fault driver remains ongoing. Meanwhile, Bowles hopes to rebuild his damaged home.

"Something's definitely gotta change," Masserang added.

"This story was reported on-air by a journalist and has been converted to this platform with the assistance of AI. Our editorial team verifies all reporting on all platforms for fairness and accuracy."

Detroit hydrant spews water, flooding nearby streets after being hit by vehicle

Parts of two Detroit streets flooded after the city says a car hit a fire hydrant.

Crews responded to French Road and Leander Street after it was reported Sunday morning that a fire hydrant was spewing water, according to the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. Crews had to call off their investigation during nighttime hours Sunday.

Watch Ruta Ulcinaite's video report: Fire hydrant hit by vehicle and floods nearby streets in Detroit

They returned Monday and worked most of the day on a flooded road with ice chunks to get to the fire hydrant, temporarily shut it off and begin repairs.

The hydrant was finally shut off Monday evening. Work will continue Tuesday for cleanup and repairs.

Watch Chopper video of crews at the scene below: Chopper 7 shows crews on flooded Detroit street after vehicle hits hydrant

Detroit Water & Sewerage Department Deputy Director Sam Smalley says this is the 15th fire hydrant to be hit by a vehicle this winter alone, pulling off staff from other critical projects, like water main breaks.

"Please slow down. Our crews are busy enough with all the other main breaks, as opposed to dealing with ones that are certainly avoidable," Smalley said.

Officials are working to learn who was driving the car that hit the hydrant. A vehicle was seen surrounded by water and chunks of ice on Chopper 7 Monday, however, it's unclear at this time if that was the car that hit the hydrant.

There have been no reports of residents without water, DWSD says. The department says residents should not be impacted.

Coleman A. Young International Airport, which is nearby, was also not impacted.

The stretch of road is also a well-known drag-racing strip, although that has not yet been determined to be the cause of the crash.

The city says this is a costly issue, and they will be investigating to see who caused the damage to find them liable.

"Every time we have a hit hydrant, we try to see if there's any video, any police report, any witnesses. If we can find it, we'll certainly pursue reimbursement," Smalley said. "The repair is probably $20,000-plus. And if we can find out who did it, we will make a claim against the vehicle's driver's insurance."

Detroit launches Rx Kids program providing cash assistance to pregnant & new moms

The city of Detroit has become the largest city in the state to participate in the Rx Kids program. Detroit Mayor Mary Sheffield announced the city would join the program in January.

Watch Ruta Ulcinaite's January video report: Detroit to launch Rx Kids program providing assistance to pregnant & new moms

The Rx Kids program provides direct cash assistance to expectant and new mothers before and after the birth of their child.

Those wanting to participate can find out more and sign up on the Rx Kids website.

Detroit has always been a city that leads with heart and courage, and today we are once again setting a national standard by ensuring that every mother has real support, and every baby has a strong start, Sheffield said in a January statement.

According to the city, an estimated 8,000 babies are born in Detroit each year, but around half of the children living in the city live in poverty.

Under the program, Rx Kids provides a $1,500 cash prescription during pregnancy, and then $500 per month throughout the baby's first six months of life. The program is also live in cities like Pontiac and Flint, and hopes to be in nearly 30 cities across the state by the end of this month.

"It's a stress reliever. It takes the weight off your shoulders," expectant Detroit mother Kyeisha Ford said. "Just having the little extra help, the little extra push."

It's a program from Michigan State University and led by Dr. Mona Hanna, a pediatrician and associate dean of public health at Michigan State.

We are the richest country in the history of the world and should not be okay with our babies growing up without the resources needed to thrive," she said.

The city is expected to invest $500,00 annually for three years, and it is also getting support from The Skillman Foundation, GreenLight Fund Detroit, W.K. Kellogg Foundation, The Kresge Foundation, Skyline Foundation, Ballmer Group, General Motors, Jamie and Denise Jacob Family Foundation, Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation, Community Foundation of Southeast Michigan, and Huntington Bank. However, the majority of the funding for the program comes from the 2026 state budget, in which $250 million has been allocated over three years in the FY2026 budget.

RxKids is the nations first-ever program that puts $7,500 directly in the pockets of new moms to help them care for their babies while improving their finances and health, and Im so proud that Mayor Sheffield is expanding it into Detroit," Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in a statement.

There are no income requirements to sign up. However, expectant mothers will have to prove they are pregnant and go through an approval process. The funds will then be directly transferred to their accounts. Parents can sign up here.

❌