โŒ

Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Yesterday โ€” 22 August 2026Main stream

Child and three adults injured during shooting in Detroit

21 August 2026 at 23:53

Four people, including a child, were injured during a shooting in Detroit Friday evening, police said.

The shooting happened just before 6 p.m. on Haverhill Street near Windsor Avenue.

Watch Brett Kast's video report below: Child and three adults injured during shooting in Detroit

Police say the four victims were leaving a home when gunshots were fired at them from a vehicle. The victims are a 10-year-old, a man in his 20s, a woman in her 40s and a man in his 40s. Police believe they are family members.

The woman is in critical condition. The other victims are expected to be OK, police say.

Police say the woman is the child's mother. Additional details about the victims weren't immediately released.

Police provide details in the video player below: Detroit police provide details after child, 3 adults shot

What led up to to the shooting is unknown at this time. Police are continuing to investigate.

Suspect information is unknown at this time, however, a weapon was recovered.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.

Before yesterdayMain stream

Police release names of victims in deadly shooting of 5 in northern Michigan

20 August 2026 at 18:57

Michigan State Police have released the names of the five people who were killed by a suspect in northern lower Michigan earlier this month.

The deaths happened at three different locations, Michigan State Police say.

More information in the video below: 6 dead, including suspect, after shooting incident in northern Michigan

MSP says troopers were dispatched around 11:40 a.m. to a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township for a report of a person shot. When they arrived, three people were dead and a fourth person was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Investigators say the suspect, 39-year-old Chad Hickman, took off from the scene before troopers arrived. A large police response and search that included K-9 units began.

A fourth person was found dead during the search at another home in Missaukee County.

The suspects vehicle was found near a wooded area close to Whitlock Lake in Caldwell Township. The suspect and another person were found dead in the wooded area.

In an update on on Thursday, Aug. 20, police released the names of the victims.

Michigan State Police said the victim found at the home on South LaChance Road was a 13-year-old girl. She was shot and taken to the hospital in critical condition but has been upgraded to stable condition.

The three victims found dead at the home on South LaChance Road were identified as 45-year-old Shane McGowan, 40-year-old Amanda Everitt, and 16-year-old Eric Thomas.

The person at the second home in Missaukee County has been identified as 53-year-old John Schwartz.

The person found dead alongside the suspect in the wooded area has been identified as 29-year-old Heather Schwartz.

Police say the suspect was known by all who were killed.

This situation is heartbreaking for the community and challenging for the investigators involved, MSP Lt. Ashley Miller said in a statement on Friday. We remain committed to conducting a thorough investigation and will provide updates as new information becomes available.

Several surrounding agencies assisted MSP during the search.

Warren teacher charged with possessing child porn and drugs

20 August 2026 at 01:28

A Warren Consolidated Schools teacher is facing several charges after police say they found child pornography and drugs during a search warrant that was related to a separate charge.

Watch Megan Lee's video report: Warren teacher charged with possessing child porn and drugs Watch Sara Molina's video report Warren teacher charged with possessing child porn and drugs

Mark Michael Sharrow, 37, of Warren, was arraigned Wednesday on 12 charges: five counts of aggravated possession of sexually abusive material, five counts of using computers to commit a crime, one count of possession of methamphetamine and one count of possession of LSD.

Warren Consolidated Schools says Sharrow was on administrative leave at the time of his Tuesday arrest.

He was arrested in connection with a third-degree criminal sexual conduct charge out of Houghton Lake, the Macomb County prosecutor said. His home and cellphone were searched during the arrest. Drugs and sexually explicit videos of minors were allegedly found on his cellphone.

Additional details about the Houghton Lake charge were not immediately available.

Child Sexually Abusive Material is not simply illegal contentit is evidence of the abuse and exploitation of a real child. Those who seek out, possess, or distribute this material help perpetuate that harm. We will aggressively pursue those who prey on children and use every available legal tool to hold them accountable, Macomb County Prosecutor Peter J. Lucido said in a statement.

Sharrow's bond was set at $1 million, cash surety with no 10% option.

If Sharrow posts bond, he must wear at GPS tether and cannot use the internet or any device capable of accessing the internet. He was also ordered not to have contact with minors and not enter spaces where minors commonly gather.

Sharrow has a probable cause conference scheduled for Sept. 1.

Swine flu found in Michigan resident after Kent County Youth Fair

15 August 2026 at 00:16

A Michigan resident tested positive for swine flu, the state health department announced on Friday.

The Ionia County resident was a swine exhibitor at the Kent County Youth Fair that took place at the Grand Agricultural Center of West Michigan in Lowell between Aug. 3 and Aug. 8.

The positive test was confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday. Earlier this week, health officials issued an alert after the illness was found in pigs at the fair.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the Kent County Health Department have been reaching out to swine exhibitors and families who visited the swine barns at the fair to find any additional cases from those who may have been exposed.

Healthcare providers in the area have been alerted to watch for patients showing symptoms or visited the fair.

While the risk to the general public remains low, we want visitors who attended the Kent County Youth Fair to be alert to symptoms and take appropriate precautions, said Dr. Natasha Bagdasarian, Michigans chief medical executive. Anyone who develops flulike symptoms after possible exposure should contact their health care provider and let them know about their recent contact with pigs at the fair. Individuals who are sick should stay home until they have fully recovered.

Symptoms for the illness are similar to seasonal flu viruses and may include:

Fever Cough Runny nose Body aches Nausea Vomiting Diarrhea

Health officials say the risk of humans contracting the illness is rare, however, it can become severe and even deadly. The time period from exposure to illness is commonly three days but could take up to 10 days.

MDHHS shared precautions to avoid potential exposure at farms, fairs and exhibits:

Do not eat or drink in livestock barns or show rings Do not take toys, pacifiers, cups, baby bottles, strollers or similar items into pig areas Anyone who is at high risk of serious flu complications should avoid contact with pigs and swine barns when attending a fair Get an annual influenza vaccination

MDHHS also shared ways to prevent spread of any illness:

Wash hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. Avoid close contact with sick people. If you are sick, stay home from work or school until your illness is over

More information on the swine flu can be found on the CDCs website.

Police release victim information in deadly shooting of 5 in northern Michigan

14 August 2026 at 23:36

Six people, including a suspect, are dead after a mass shooting incident in northern lower Michigan on Friday.

The deaths happened at three different locations, Michigan State Police say.

More information in the video below: 6 dead, including suspect, after shooting incident in northern Michigan

MSP says troopers were dispatched around 11:40 a.m. to a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township for a report of a person shot. When they arrived, three people were dead and a fourth person was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Investigators say the suspect, 39-year-old Chad Hickman, took off from the scene before troopers arrived. A large police response and search that included K-9 units began.

A fourth person was found dead during the search at another home in Missaukee County.

The suspects vehicle was found near a wooded area close to Whitlock Lake in Caldwell Township. The suspect and another person were found dead in the wooded area.

In an update on Saturday, Michigan State Police said the victim found at the home on South LaChance Road was a 13-year-old girl. She was shot and taken to the hospital in critical condition but has been upgraded to stable condition.

The three victims found dead at the home on South LaChance Road have been identified as a 45-year-old man, 40-year-old woman and 16-year-old boy.

The person at the second home in Missaukee County has been identified as a 53-year-old man.

The person found dead alongside the suspect in the wooded area has been identified as a 29-year-old woman.

This situation is heartbreaking for the community and challenging for the investigators involved, MSP Lt. Ashley Miller said in a statement on Friday. We remain committed to conducting a thorough investigation and will provide updates as new information becomes available.

Several surrounding agencies assisted MSP during the search.

โŒ
โŒ