Normal view

There are new articles available, click to refresh the page.
Yesterday — 22 August 2026Main stream

Federal judge dismisses Trump admin lawsuit against Washtenaw County "sanctuary" policies

22 August 2026 at 09:12
 Students from Community High School hold signs that read "Immigrants built America" and "The only ICE I like is in Heated Rivalry"
Students from Community High School hold signs that read "Immigrants built America" and "The only ICE I like is in Heated Rivalry"(Anna Busse / Michigan Public)

A federal judge on Friday dismissed a lawsuit the Trump administration filed against Washtenaw County over its immigration enforcement policies, ruling that the county’s sheriff, prosecutor and Board of Commissioners had not violated federal law.

The federal government filed the lawsuit in April, arguing that the county officials’ refusal to aid federal immigration enforcement officers posed a danger to public safety.

Washtenaw County argued that federal law did not require local governments to assist with immigration enforcement.

U.S. District Court Judge F. Kay Behm agreed, writing that the county was exercising powers afforded to it under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"Apparently flummoxed by the County’s decision to focus its resources on local priorities and public safety, the United States sues to demand Washtenaw County’s cooperation, the use of its jail cells, and its resources," Behm wrote.

The judge wrote that nothing in the Immigration and Nationality Act required the Washtenaw County sheriff to hold people in the county jail at the request of the Department of Homeland Security.

She also said the Trump administration was improperly attempting to compel local governments to “enforce the President’s priorities in the manner it wishes.”

The ruling represents the first major test of the administration’s legal effort to challenge Washtenaw County’s immigration enforcement policies.

Before yesterdayMain stream

“Rockstar” from Michigan-based religious brotherhood facing sexual assault charges in UK

21 August 2026 at 16:06
A selfie shows a young woman and an older man smiling in a stadium setting. Both individuals are looking directly at the camera, wearing Red Wings apparel. The woman wears glasses and has brown hair, while the man has short grey hair. The man holds up two printed hockey game tickets, showcasing logos and an image of a player. The ticket text reads "Chicago Blackhawks vs. Detroit Red Wings." The background features stadium seating with other spectators visible.
In 2014, Camille Chippewa said she told the young men Ed Conlin was living with in Detroit that she "thought it was weird" he hadn't invited one of them to accompany him to a preseason Detroit Red Wings game. Chippewa wasn't aware of the allegations against Conlin nor the restrictions he was under. "This photograph should never have been allowed to have happened," she said. (Courtesy photo / Camille Chippewa)

Known for writing melodic, sing-along worship songs, Ed Conlin was like a “rockstar” inside the covenant Christian communities he worked with.

“People would casually refer to him as ‘Saint Ed.’ Like they saw him as someone who is holy, and was virtuous, and kind, and generous,” Noelle Lynn said of Conlin.

Lynn said she got to know Conlin when she was involved in missionary work in Detroit beginning in 2005. Lynn said Conlin took an interest in her and a few other young women she served with.

“We would say things like, ‘Oh, I'm Ed's third girl,'” Lynn recalled.

A group photo shows a smiling young woman with three children or teenagers, all with blurred faces except for her. She is in the center wearing an orange shirt under a black jacket. The child in front wears a bright yellow shirt and makes a peace sign. In the background, a world map hangs on the wall.
Noelle Lynn pictured from her time working in Detroit. (Noelle Lynn / Courtesy photo)

By then, The Servants of the Word brotherhood had already removed Conlin from youth work in Northern Ireland for his "improper relationships" and "misdeeds" and restricted him from working in youth programming. A decade later, the brotherhood would acknowledge it failed to both fully communicate Conlin's boundaries with people in Detroit and "maintain the separation" through oversight.

Conlin's relationship with Lynn wasn't sexual, she said, but he’d take her and other young women out individually, to a game, on walks. “I could have been an Ed Conlin victim,” she said.

Conlin worked as a substance abuse counselor at a well known soup kitchen in Detroit, and in youth activities run by various unsuspecting non-profits.

“Looking back, it's so inappropriate,” Lynn said. “But he was known for these special relationships with women and girls. And we know now that he wasn't supposed to be interacting with us that way. He actually wasn't supposed to be having anything to do with our youth's work, but he was involved in it all.”

For decades, Conlin was part of The Servants of the Word brotherhood based in Michigan. About 60 celibate men are in the ecumenical brotherhood, living communally in homes throughout the state and around the globe.

In 2005, the brotherhood allowed Conlin to move to Detroit to work after about 3 years of “discipline and recovery” at The Servants of the Word’s main home in a rural area west of Ann Arbor.

In the distance, a gray roof line of a pale yellow house is mostly blocked from view by thick forests. A gravel driveway curves in front.
The Servants of the Word are based in a rural area in Dexter Township. (Lindsey Smith / Michigan Public)

In the late 1990s, two members of a group for at-risk youth had reported Conlin’s grooming behavior and sexual abuse in Belfast. The brotherhood has said police in Northern Ireland were notified but didn’t bring charges.

Nearly three decades later, Conlin’s been extradited from the United States and faces seven counts of indecent assault against a female.

"Ed Conlin maintains his innocence to these charges,” his attorney wrote in an emailed statement. Court records show Conlin pleaded not guilty to the charges this month. His attorney said he expects “to clear his name by being exonerated of these accusations."

The leaders of The Servants of the Word acknowledged to members in 2020 it failed to communicate “robustly and clearly enough” to people working alongside Conlin in Detroit about the sexual allegations against him and the self-imposed boundaries he was supposed to follow around young people.

When Michigan Public reported allegations of sexual abuse against another member of the brotherhood in 2020, people inside or familiar with the covenant communities started talking about Conlin too.

An Ypsilanti woman alleged Conlin raped her when she was a teenager in a civil lawsuit she and others brought against The Servants of the Word in 2023. The law firm that filed the cases said most of the lawsuits were settled and the terms weren’t disclosed.

Conlin was “terminated” from the brotherhood the same year.

U.S. Marshals arrested him in South Bend, Indiana in May. He petitioned a federal judge for release because he said he was taking care of his disabled adult brother and he has his own health issues. He said he’d been working in food service at a hotel chain.

Lynn and others have been working for years to expose the abuse and systems in the covenant communities that allowed it. She’s been frustrated it’s taken so long.

“Through all of this, there's been these moments of just — how in the world could this not have a consequence?” Lynn reflected.

So she was “completely shocked” when she heard Conlin was arrested.

“I was just so over the moon to see that the Belfast authorities took this really seriously and that these women in Belfast, who have just been so brave and so strong, have been willing to weather this storm and keep with it,” she said. “I'm so proud of them.”

Conlin’s next court date is August 28.

❌
❌